Monday, January 15, 2018

Monoprinting over the Christmas Holidays - Part 1

I've been busy printing over the Christmas break, exploring a few different monoprint directions.

Firstly, for an upcoming hospital exhibition, I needed to print very large - my plate was 68cm x 46cm - the largest monoprints I ever done.  The large size provided a few interesting compositional challenges, and I also had to make use of my large studio etching press (which is always a pleasure to work with!).

I also wanted to try a new style of just one major colour, highlighted with a black image.  That's quite a challenge for me, given I tend towards 4+ colours and tons of mark making.  Holding back and keeping it minimal isn't easy!

Because I was working big, I did some smaller test prints just to see how my theory would work.  It turned out to be a great idea and gave me plenty of confidence when I had to tackle the bigger prints.

Three of the six successful prints will be exhibited for six months in a local private hospital, alongside some scrub turkey and leaf prints.  I have titled this Magpie series 'The Sentinel' referencing the territorial behaviour of magpies. 


This was my paper soaking 'tray' - a garbage bag as I didn't have a tray or
tub large enough!  Not perfect but worked OK.

In progress - leaves and Magpie stencil

Of course I printed with my favourite colour - Aqua....!
I just love it on these gorgeous gum leaves.

One of the finish prnts.  I couldn't help myself and snuck a
bit of green in there to add a bit of 'pop'!

This print is just aqua with the black caroling Magpie.
Simple and as minimalist as I can get!

I'll blog next week about the second series of monoprints that I did over the holidays.

1 comment: