Thursday, May 30, 2013

Artist in Residence - out and about

During the past 2 days I have spent a lot of time out and about, though I did manage a few hours in the studio this afternoon.  I find getting out into the local environment is almost as important as the time spent working on my prints and books.

On Wednesday, Sally Campbell took me on an excursion to her cattle property "Clarenden", 40kms north-west of Blackall.  What was most interesting was the differences in the landscape to my visit earlier in the week to "Stratford".

the landscape at Clarenden, more open
than Stratford

Couldn't resist an arty shot of this rusty wire

Travelling around Clarenden

We saw lots of Brolgas at Clarenden, so elegant
and beautiful with the red on their heads
Today I spent some time riding around Blackall checking out plant material and a few of the sculptures around town.   Had a bit of fun with the camera timer shots.....

Roly Poly

Eagle Nest
The Art Exhibition finished today.  I sold 5 of my willy-wag tail prints that I printed last month at Baldessin Studio.  I couldn't resist a photo of the red dots!



This afternoon in the studio I worked on my 'Desert Uplands' book using pre-rusted pages.  I used string, sisal, gum leaves and Athol Pine leaves (to depict the desert oak).  The string reminds me of the wire fences and the sisal hints at the many types of grasses found in the landscape.  Tomorrow I plan to sew it all together with a hard cover using single sheet binding.   I might even make 2 books of it.

The pages of 'Desert Uplands' drying.
I also spent part of today setting up the workshop space.  Tomorrow I've got a group of Distance Education kids coming into the studio to do some printing.  And I've got 12 adults booked in for Monoprinting on the weekend and almost as many for Coptic binding on Monday, so its going to be busy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking us along on this wondeful trip with you Sandra - what an amazing experience. You will enrich and be enriched I am sure.

    ReplyDelete